Before April 28th, EA will delist three Battlefield games.
EA announced Tuesday that Battlefield 1943, Battlefield: Bad Company. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will be delisted from digital stores on April 28th. In the past, EA’s press release stated that Mirror’s Edge would be delisted as well. But the company now says it has no plans to do so. The delistings are taking place ahead of the games’ online services shutting down on December 8th.
Those who own Bad Company and Bad Company 2 can still play through single-player campaigns after December 8th, EA says. Although parts of the games will still work once their servers for online play are shut down. It is frustrating that they are being removed from digital storefronts entirely.
The delistings are yet another recent reminder of the impermanence of games on digital storefronts. It seems that right now is the season of delisting. Nintendo is slated to close the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS eShops in the next few days. While Microsoft pulled out a bunch of games from Xbox 360 Marketplace earlier this year.
In an update March 21st, 5:07PM ET. EA said it had “no plans” to delist Mirror’s Edge and that the original reference game had been “incorrect.”